Saturday, January 19, 2008

Christina Never Had a Farm

Saturday, January 5, 2008
Christina Never Had a Farm


Greetings, Everyone!


I’m just completing my 3rd full day in Ghana, and all is well. I’ve only had one near-meltdown so far, and I think we can all agree that, in this case, “close” definitely doesn’t count.


I’ve spent the last 2 days shopping. And since we’re in the habit of agreeing with each other, I know you’ll agree that that in itself is worth crying over. It might’ve been in the fourth or fifth grocery store (because no one grocery store can be expected to carry everything—or even the same things all the time) when I was trying to buy groceries for the entire month (because that’s how long we have between trips to the store) and having no idea what I might need. I just became overwhelmed and instead of logical, sustaining truths such as “people live in the village, so some kind of food must be available,” I could only think of, well, “a person can go 40 days without food, so I should be okay.” Oy vey. Not exactly a cheering thought, eh? Oy.


Anyway, the food shopping is now done, and I even did some clothes shopping as well. The fabrics are so beautiful; I can’t wait to show you—but since the fabrics are still with the tailor, we’ll have to wait a few weeks. We’re heading to Nasuan (that’s the village; say “NA-soo-ahn”) in the morning.


Okay, it’s time to sleep, and that’s why I’m ending this email abruptly with 2 mentions of What I’ve Learned So Far (hopefully a reoccurring feature).


1. Roosters can crow anytime, day or night, and not just in the morning. Who knew?


2. Apparently, I can’t tell the difference between sheep and goats. I mean, when I see a goat, I know it. But sheep are tricky. When I see a sheep, I’m confused but leaning toward thinking it’s a goat. How’s that for a hole in my education? And my dad works for the Ohio Farm Bureau. Embarassing. And no wonder Jesus has to separate those guys in the end.


My Suggested Prayer Topics are still just general. Praise God for uneventful travel and no illness yet despite the mosquitoes and all the fun stuff I’ve been eating. This week I’ll be settling into the village, so that’s kind of a big deal I guess.


Hope all is well with you!


Christina

No comments: